Medical school is an adventure unlike anything that I imagined it could be. We have had a unique set of challenges thrown at us as do all people. There have been moments where I thought medical school was the biggest mistake and I regretted every effort and decision I made to help my John achieve his goal. I don't even think I can count the number of nights I spent crying myself to sleep or remember how many midnight phone calls to my siblings I dialed because I was feeling so lonely.
There have been so many moments over the last 4 years where I was convinced that our family was cursed and that nothing was ever going to go our way. However, with graduation just a little over 4 weeks away I can honestly and constructively look back and say that this was the best thing that we have ever done. Although very hard, it has been an invaluable experience and so worth it. The relationships that we have gained with people and the experiences we have had make this the most amazing and beautiful journey. This place has become our home and I am very sad to think about leaving it. Middlesboro will always have a very special place in my heart, as will the great people that we have been privileged enough to call our friends. John has always told me that life isn't about the destination but about the ride. Now that we have successfully reached our 'destination' I am so thankful that I can look back on our journey and feel so much happiness.
I guess this is what life is all about. The journey. Finding joy in the journey isn't a requirement but it sure does make the trip easier and the destination taste even sweeter.
The next chapter of our story is taking us to Temple, Texas. John matched at Texas A&M in General Psychiatry. John is going exactly where he wanted to go. I am so happy for him and unbelievably proud. He has worked so hard to get here. John has never let anything stand in his way nor use anything as an excuse to not excel. He really is my hero in so many ways. His strength and levelheadedness keeps me so balanced and I am so excited to continue watching him grow as a physician. My husband was truly called to be a doctor and getting to be a part of the process to reach this point has been an honor.
















Crazy is an understatement for sure! I can't believe any one survived medical school! Let alone families. Congrats to you guys!! I'm so excited for your new home and John's residency. Good luck. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks.
ReplyDelete