Graduation day was super stressful to be honest. It was an incredibly long day. It started with me up super early getting ready and finishing up the last minute things for the graduation parties that day. The actual ceremony was great and I was a blubbering mess watching him being hooded. I cried even more as I hugged so many friends goodbye one last time, and I was sobbing when John handed me a diploma that said 'Doctor of Patience' and told me that he was a doctor because of me. So many emotions filled me that day and I am pretty sure that my tears flowed down the streets of Harrogate along with down pouring rain.
After the graduation we did a luncheon with our best friends from school and their families. We grilled burgers and dogs and indulged on yummy sides. I wasn't really hungry at all. I had a knot in my stomach which really took me by surprise. I thought I would be jumping for joy to be getting away from that place but instead I spent the weeks prior fighting back tears and this day was particularly the worst. When Deke left first and I hugged him goodbye and so many memories flashed through my head. You see, these people became my family. We have been there together through some really tragic and unbelievably happy times. The bottom line is that medical school was the most beautiful time of our lives (yet challenging) and it's because of the people that shared their lives with us.
We went to another graduation party that night that Taralyn's family threw and they were nice enough to honor us as well. I cried even more as I hugged so many of the locals goodbye. I can't say it enough, but the Cumberland Gap ward is special. The people are so full of love and such amazing examples of being Christlike behavior.I will never forget my time in that ward and I know we chose DCOM because we needed to meet the people there and learn from their examples. I really hope that the families that come after us realize what a blessing and privilege it is to be members of that ward and are open to all of the amazing things they can teach you. It may not be what you are used to but that doesn't mean it isn't correct or true. Christ's ability to touch the hearts of men is a marvelous work and most of the time it happens through his disciples. The Cumberland Gapers are disciples and love unconditionally just like Christ commanded. I will stop going on about what rockstars they all are, but just do yourself a favor and step back and listen to what they have to say instead of assuming they don't have much to say.
Although exhausting both physically and emotionally, graduation day goes down in the history books for us. We packed up the house and moved away 3 days later (posts to come) and we are off to start another adventure. We did it! We survived and thrived through medical school! Wooohoooo! Congrats to the class of 2014!







No comments:
Post a Comment